A Visit to Ravenna in the Poet’s Footsteps
Ravenna, mosaics, and Dante: this precious triptych combines a welcoming land, the undiminished beauty of ancient marvels, and the most read and well-known author in the world, who spent his last years in Ravenna. Dante in the city of mosaics weaves together art, history, literature, and performing arts in an extraordinary combination of tradition and modernity for a moving, unusual experience. It is a full immersion at the crossroad between Orient and Christianity, Middle Ages and Modern Age, Latin and Vulgar – that Italian language whose father is Dante.
The light and the images of the Byzantine and Early-Christian mosaics, UNESCO World Heritage, live in Dante’s Commedia, especially in the verses on the Paradise, where the indescribable is described.
Since 1990 Ravenna Festival takes its programme to the heart of the city, featuring all artistic languages. Every year, from May to July, Ravenna turns into a stage, from the ancient basilicas shining with mosaics to the theatres, from the historic buildings to the pine grove and the urban landscape. The Festival contributes to keeping Dante’s heritage alive: while Young Artists for Dante pays homage to the Poet in the Cloisters by his Tomb and the Vespers at San Vitale feature talents of sacred music, Inferno is the most complete and innovative theatrical project dedicated to the first cantica, a journey through the infernal landscape with the involvement of the citizens in a production which renews the tradition of the Medieval mystery plays. Ravenna Festival commissioned Inferno from Ravenna Teatro / Teatro delle Albe, directed by Marco Martinelli and Ermanna Montanari.
Dante in the city of mosaics
price per person 155€* including:
- 2 nights in 3-star hotel in the city centre, double room, breakfast included (additional night 40€ per person, single room extra charge 20€);
- “The ancient mosaics: visions of the Paradise” guided tour of the UNESCO monuments, and visit to the exhibition Iconographers and Infernal at the Manica Lunga complex of the Classense Library;
- aperitif in the city centre;
- tickets for the following events of Ravenna Festival:
Young Artists for Dante (every day at 11 am, Ancient Franciscan Cloisters),
Vespers at San Vitale (every day at 7 pm, Basilica of San Vitale),
Inferno (every day, except on Monday, at 8pm, Rasi Theatre),
and another event chosen from the 2017 programme of Ravenna Festival;
- guided tour of the Alighieri Theatre.
*Valid for stays between May 25 and July 2.
The package is completely customisable, thanks to the chance of additional services such as:
- pick up from and to airports or train stations;
- tickets for other monuments;
- Romagna Visit Card (www.romagnavisitcard.it)
- discounted tickets for one or more additional events of Ravenna Festival;
- choice among different kinds of accommodation;
- field trips in the hinterland;
- local product tasting, visits to wineries, cooking classes.