A Visit to Ravenna in the Poet’s Footsteps
Ravenna, mosaics, and Dante: this precious triptych combines a welcoming land, the undiminished beauty of ancient marvels, and the most read and well-known author in the world, who spent his last years in Ravenna. Dante in the city of mosaics weaves together art, history, literature, and performing arts in an extraordinary combination of tradition and modernity for a moving, unusual experience. It is a full immersion at the crossroad between Orient and Christianity, Middle Ages and Modern Age, Latin and Vulgar – the Italian language of which Dante is father. The light and the images of the Byzantine and Early-Christian mosaics, UNESCO World Heritage, live in Dante’s Commedia, especially in the verses on the Paradiso, where the indescribable is described.
Since 1990 Ravenna Festival takes its programme to the heart of the city, featuring all artistic languages. Every year, from May to July, Ravenna turns into a stage, from the ancient basilicas shining with mosaics to the theatres, from the historic buildings to the pine grove and the urban landscape. The Festival contributes to keeping Dante’s heritage alive with two daily events: while Young Artists for Dante pays homage to the Poet in the Cloisters by his Tomb, the Vespers at San Vitale present talents of sacred music in the most beautiful of the Byzantine basilicas. Featuring more than 130 events over 50 days, the 29th edition of the Festival will welcome world-renowned guest artists, from symphonic music (above all, Riccardo Muti) to dance, from avant-garde rock with David Byrne of the Talking Heads to Cole Porter’s musical Kiss Me, Kate.
Since 1321 the Poet has been resting in Ravenna: looking forward to the celebrations of the seventh centenary, the tribute to Dante will continue in 2019 and 2021 with Purgatorio and Paradiso, respectively second and third part of the project commissioned by Ravenna Festival, a co-production with the Alighieri Theatre, Ravenna Teatro/Teatro delle Albe.
Following the success of Inferno, the masterpiece which gave rise to the Italian language and literature will be transformed into a play by Marco Martinelli and Ermanna Montanari. This colossal project will involve the entire city, offering the visitor a unique and first-hand experience of the Commedia.
Dante in the City of Mosaics
price per person starting from 155€*, including:
- 2 nights in 3-star hotel in the city centre, double room, breakfast included (additional night 40€ per person, single room extra charge 20€);
- The ancient mosaics: visions of the Paradise guided tour of the UNESCO monuments;
- tickets for the following events of Ravenna Festival between June 1 and July 5: Young Artists for Dante (daily at 11 am, Ancient Franciscan Cloisters) and Vespers (daily at 7 pm, Basilica of San Vitale);
- lunch or dinner in the city centre;
- guided tour of the Alighieri Theatre.
* Offer subject to availability, valid for stays between June 1 and July 22, 2018.
The package is completely customisable with additional services such as:
- pick up from and to airports or train stations;
- tickets for other monuments;
- guided tour of the Classense Library;
- Romagna Visit Card (www.romagnavisitcard.it);
- discounted tickets for one or more additional events of Ravenna Festival;
- choice among different kinds of accommodation;
- field trips in the hinterland;
- local product tasting, visits to wineries, cooking classes.