Cavalleria rusticana – Pagliacci – Tosca
Opera and Italian Literature in the City of Mosaics
Ravenna is an imperative destination for history and art lovers: the mosaics of the ancient basilicas, Theoderic, Dante, and the many poets who sang the city, from Byron to Montale, are presences set into the beauty of an intense embedding of styles, experiences, and narratives. In Autumn Trilogy between Poets and Mosaics the great opera tradition meets the routes of art, history, literature, in a combination of tradition and modernity which gives life to a moving, unusual experience. An immersion between music and poetry, language and melodrama, the founding elements of Italy’s greatness, against the setting of the ancient capital and of a land holding on to the values of hospitality and solidarity. The light and the images of the Byzantine and Early-Christian mosaics, UNESCO World Heritage, are the luminous backdrop of this theatrical and poetical experience of the Italian excellence.
Since 1990 Ravenna Festival takes its programme to the heart of the city, featuring all artistic languages. Every year, from May to July, Ravenna turns into a stage – from the ancient basilicas shining with mosaics to the theatres, from the historic buildings to the pine grove and the urban landscape – while the Festival comes back in Autumn with a special and ambitious project which alternates three different operas on the stage of the Alighieri Theatre, night after night. This year the Autumn Trilogy (November 17-23) is dedicated to three operas composed in the last decade of the 19th century, or “on the verge of the 20th century”: Cavalleria rusticana (Nov 17 and 21), Pagliacci (Nov 18 and 22), and Tosca (Nov 19 and 23). The protagonist will be the concern about truthfulness that, between the two centuries, urged the arts to explore even the crudest, most materialistic side of reality in the name of “Verismo”. Cristina Muti, founder of the Festival, will sign the concept and direction of the Trilogy, while in the pit the Cherubini Youth Orchestra will be conducted by Vladimir Ovodok, one of the pupils of the first edition of Riccardo Muti’s Italian Opera Academy.
Discover Ravenna with the Autumn Trilogy
Price per person 155€* including:
- 2 nights in 3-star hotel in the city centre, double room, breakfast included (additional night 40€ per person, single room extra charge 20€);
- The ancient mosaics: visions of the Paradise guided tour of the UNESCO monuments, and visit to the exhibition The Melodrama in the Papers at the Manica Lunga complex of the Classense Library;
- aperitif in the city centre;
- tickets (stalls or box) for one of the Autumn Trilogy operas;
- guided tour of the Alighieri Theatre.
*Valid for stays between November 17 and 23.
The package is customisable, thanks to the chance of additional services such as:
- pick up from and to airports or train stations;
- tickets for other monuments;
- Romagna Visit Card (www.romagnavisitcard.it)
- other discounted tickets for one or more events of Ravenna Festival;
- choice among different kinds of accommodation;
- field trips in the hinterland;
- local product tasting, visits to wineries, cooking classes.